Thursday, December 31, 2009

OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW!

“The library closed 15 minutes ago!” Yelled the young librarian. “I have a New Year’s Eve party to get to and just because I work at the largest library in town doesn’t mean I’m a nerd. I can’t believe I’m going to be late!” She bickered to herself.

I followed her down the now dark and echo-filled hall toward the downstairs, ‘employees’ only exit’. My car was parked on the opposite side of Building D and apparently this was Lot B. It’s not that I don’t want to celebrate the year’s retreat; truth is I have no one to spend it with. I moved to another state to attend school and my family is more than 500 miles away. So where am I 20 minutes to the countdown? At the only quite place I found to be open this late, the downtown library.

I’m a shy, quite suburb girl, in a large crowd-filled city. I live scared to death of the unexpected ‘anything can be lurking around’ life one lives in the Big Apple state.

“You see that green metal door Repunzel? That’ll lead you outside.”

I would have thanked her if she’d given me the chance, but her car door slammed faster than the fluttering of insects’ wings. I walked steadily toward the exit and as I pushed the door open I was met by a blistering wind, the late night was accompanied by a vapid motion of falling snow. I blinked my eyes through the freezing gusts then headed toward the spot where my car was parked.

The wind sang its heavy tunes through my long hair, and I instantly wished I had brought my hooded sweatshirt to go under my hood-less wool made coat. I stopped and placed my books on the floor then lifted the collar all the way around my neck then buttoned it to the top. That’s when I spotted it. I know what you are thinking…I’m seeing things. I mean sure with my usual jumpy self but I swear I saw something slowly and steadily creeping up behind me. Like a shadow with an invisible owner shifting between post-lit areas and shady ones. I bent down to pick up my books then turned to my side and peeked through my locks. It moved slowly to a spot where it would be well hidden. But it had been there! I had seen something, I was sure!

I continued to walk, focusing my peripheral vision, forcing my attention to whatever or whoever crept back yonder. I heard a soft rattling sound followed by a light tumble with a swish, swashing. My heart raced, and my pulse quickened. I held my books tighter until I felt the edge piercing through my coat. The light stab cleared my frightened thoughts enough for the adrenaline to help me twist my body around in a sudden jolt. A soft yelp escaped my throat. It wasn’t until I witnessed what the soft rattling was; a dried up cackling leaf was being pushed by the wind alongside the pavement. I chuckled softly then exhaled my fears. Okay, I needed to relax!

But sure enough denial slowly pried itself back below my spine then trickled its way up to my neck. It seemed that it triggered each micro-sized follicle to stand on its end as I perched my neck up and pushed my hair back behind my ears to hear more clearly. As I did this I saw something skidder and the absolution of fear seized me once more. My car was now visible and all I had to do was run a few 16 steps then click the door unlocked. I could barge inside for its comforting safety.

Yet my inability to move was beyond my control and I stood frozen like a statue, or a frozen body being grasped down by gravities controlling hold.

I turned around and finally met the primitive shadow face to face. His face appeared to be squished, deep wrinkle lines slashed across his face shamelessly. The old, old, old man looked fragile, he held his weigh with the help of his cane. His clothes seemed ancient and filthy; he wore dark blood colored pants with a urine colored coat. Filtered by the wrath of his elderly age, his shoulders slouched forward. The old man smiled at me, it was an ugly, empty, toothless smile.

He stomped his cane twice and as if by command the wind around him picked up and snow began to whirl, curling him up in what seemed like a life size cocoon. I watched closely and was about to get closer to offer my help when the snow began to glow. It got brighter, and it shimmered, then with a sudden POOF the man was gone!

Gone I tell you! And in his place was a small child. He looked excited and mirthful. His pants were apple red and his coat beamed of yellow, like the sun. Instead of a cane, the boy held a bat. He stomped it twice against the ground, then smiled gleefully at me.

How bizarre! The old man had turned into a child!

I took two steps closer then the boy lifted his hand up signaling me to stop.

“Don’t live in fear this year. Stop turning your head expecting the worse out of a situation, celebrate life!” He said, and then he ran off.

I stood there motion-less, by choice this time, because I was unsuccessfully trying to convince myself that what I saw was not real. I was tired that’s all. Suddenly an explosion of fireworks lighted the sky. It was a new year and somehow I felt a rush of peace seep through me. I was relaxed and soothed by the bright jellyfish-like twinkles above.

The boy was right. One day I’m going to give myself a heart attack with all the nonsense worrying I do. So this coming year it will be in with the new and out with the old!

No comments: